Homemade Sun Dried Tomatoes

SUN-DRIED TOMATOES, OUT OF THE SUN
August 10, 2012 by SmallKitchCara
Drying in a convection oven would this work, if so what temp.and for how long?

Reiney
Reiney August 12, 2012

Very easy to make oven-dried tomatoes - especially nice with cherries, but any will work. How long & what temp depends on the size of the tomatoes & how much time you have...basically they're done when they're done.

Try a couple of hours on 200F and see how far they've progressed. Keep an eye on them, as they can go too far & caramelize & burn. You can always leave them in a warmed and then turned-off oven overnight. The slower you cook them the better.

SeaJambon
SeaJambon August 12, 2012

The two essentials for dehydrating are good air flow (so the convection fan is good!) and very low heat. Many home ovens don't go low enough, which is why separate dehydrators are popular. The ideal temp is 140 -- anything over that will cook instead of dehydrate. See http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/uga/uga_dry_fruit.pdf The National Center for Home Preservation has lots of good and tested info on dehydrating, canning, freezing and more.