🔕 🔔

How do you dry out brown sugar in the oven?

I like to make a large batch of dry rub to use over time, but the brown sugar always clumps. I have used bread or mini marshmallows to keep this from happening- I like the marshmallows best because no dry bread crumbs end up in the mix. I heard/saw/dreamed that there was a way to dry brown sugar in the oven to keep it from clumping over time. I'd like to know if others have tried this method, what temp/time was used, and if it really works. Thanks!

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 4 years ago
A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

There are a number of approaches you can take. As anyone who has ever purchased brown sugar in a cardboard box knows, it doesn't take long for it to dry out by just leaving an open container sitting on the counter for a while. You can speed up the process by spreading it out on a sheet tray and popping it in a low oven for an hour or so. The texture will still be loose when it's hot; let it cool before deciding if it's dry enough. The microwave will also get the job done. You can simply purchase granulated brown sugar. Or you can do what I do: I make my rub with dark brown sugar and plenty of kosher salt. Stored in an airtight container, I've never had a problem with clumping. Sometimes the container needs a good shaking before use but that's about the extent of it. Hope this helps.

Is it possible to dry regular brown sugar in the oven to make it granulated brown sugar?

Maybe mixing the brown sugar with some cornstarch to reduce clumps before baking it slowly in the oven?