Does anyone have a recipe for an old-fashioned chocolate cake with a wonderful chocolate chocolate icing?

I am suffused with nostalgia for the super-moist, not fancy chocolate layer cakes of my childhood, from church picnics and family reunions in the Midwest. Help!

• Posted by: ATL
  • August 17, 2012

lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby August 17, 2012

Boulangere's chocolate cake was a community pick...her recipes are always amazing. The icing is a separate recipe...and the link is in the headnote info.

missnewjersey
missnewjersey August 17, 2012

You might try looking up a recipe for sour milk cake. My grandmother used to make it and it was always the moistest cake I've ever eaten! We normally topped it with a cream cheese icing, but this post has just inspired me to find the recipe and try it with chocolate icing. I'm sorry I don't have the recipe on hand to share!

ATG117
ATG117 August 18, 2012

Amanda's dump-it cake is great, but for a layer chocolate cake like you describe, Ina Garten's Aunt Beatty's Chocolate cake is perfect. The frosting is super delicious and the cake is equally moist and flavorful.

darksideofthespoon
darksideofthespoon August 18, 2012
ATL
ATL August 18, 2012

Thank you, everyone! These are great suggestions and I will work my way through them.