What is a good way to cook a pigs foot.

What is a good way to cook a pigs foot.

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 6 years ago

Benny

Sometimes I'll buy pigs feet to add into my stock if I need the added gelatin. I'll do this if I plan on using my stock for sauces because I can naturally thicken the sauce better through reduction.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

If you are up for something new (and quite adventurous for many) there is an ancient Serbian dish called "pihtije". It calls for boiling the fig feet for about 15 minutes, changing water and then boiling again with spices (usually garlic, bay leaves, and peppercorns) for a long time, until they start to fall apart and meat separates from the bones. The bones are then removed, the stock is filtered, and the stock and meat are poured into a shallow bowl and let toncool in the fridge for many hours. It will turn into an aspic like dish, which you then cut into small cubes, sprinkle with paprika, and serve as an appetizer with bread and cornichons.

Benny

Ah yes, I have done this. Along with the meat and stock, you can also add other ingredients such as herbs, cooked veggies, etc.. to the aspic for added flavor and garnish. Tastes great with a little vinegar drizzled over it