🔕 🔔

What to do with chicken heads & feet?

I'm cooking up 4 silkie chickens for dinner tonight -- they're tiny, about a pound each. They also come with their heads and feet attached. I'm roasting the birds themselves, but what should I do with the heads and feet? Any suggestions appreciated!

asked by Nozlee Samadzadeh over 5 years ago

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Feet are a good source of collagen for stock.

I agree with ChefOno on the stock answer. But if you also want to snip off the combs and fry them in a little oil, those are really good too. After that we're talking about cracking open skulls and scooping out brains. Zombielicious.

Yuck! Toss them they are gross

Pardon me chef of the future but those parts are not "gross". I don't toss out anything that's edible. My ethic when it comes to killing and eating an animal is to use everything that you can. That's why I have no ethical issues in eating foie gras; because I'm ready to eat the whole damn beast in one form or another.

The combs of a silkie are really teeny tiny and not worth the effort - said birds per Nowzlee are only a lb each so you would probably have to suck the brains out with a straw. I have roasted them with the head and feet attached but no one ate them and we are all nose to tail people - not enough there.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Put them on skewers on the lawn as a warning to others. (G).
Or dry the feet and make a necklace.
Okay. /snark off.
The stock suggestions. Or simmer the feet with a soy orange, lemon, ansise sauce for a couple of hours. and eat the gelatinous stuff from the feet.

A quick question. Does anybody know the nutritional content of chicken head? Can't find it anywhere. Thanks in advance....