🔕 🔔

What is the difference between green and yellow split peas? Are they interchangeable

I bought a bag of yellow for an Indian cuisine recipe recently and used 2 tsp. needless to say I have almost an entire bag leftover. Suggestions as to

using them? I'm in Florida so it's still a little warm for soup

asked by kbckitchen almost 4 years ago
609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

They are both a variety of field peas, but have a difference in taste. I personally prefer yellow peas as they are milder and sweeter in taste than the green ones. I would suggest trying a simple cold salad, with some brown rice, scallions, balsamico, olive oil and a touch of dijon. This one is also nice http://www.tasteofbeirut...

They'll keep for at least six months, so if you do want some soup when it gets cooler outside, consider making one with Indian spices, carrots, onion, etc.; stir in some chopped cilantro at the end, and then serve with a big dollop of thick yogurt (to which you've added a tiny pinch of ground cumin, salt and a few grains of turbinado sugar). I think they'd be great in the curried dal dip recipe on this site: http://food52.com/recipes... You'd have to cook the yellow split peas quite a bit longer than the red lentils in this recipe, but I'm sure it would be delicious and well worth the effort. Have fun! ;o)

I am fairly certain that the Dutch use yellow split peas for pea soup--so if you like the green version, you can use the yellow split peas instead. Get some good smoked sausage to go along with it and add bread cubes that have been fried brown and crisp in butter. that is one of my favorite winter meals--true comfort food!

I once had to make split pea soup for a friend who kept kosher. I scrapped the sausage and ham ideas and used the yellow peas along with Moroccan spices such as cumin and coriander--the seeds and the herb, along with plenty of onions and garlic. It was quite tasty!

Sorry, I didn't see that you were in Florida--the soups are definitely for fall nad winter, but the peas will keep til then!

8bbfe648 dc7e 43f9 816b 4de4ae50eec7  photo
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

I've used both yellow and green, and for me, the decision is really about what I want the dish / soup to look like. I find the green nicer for soup, the yellow better for Indian-type dishes. Just personal preference.

By the way, I highly recommend buying things like split peas, lentils, dried beans from the bulk section of a store with high turnover. That way you can get just as much as you need and you're less likely to end up with stale beans in the pantry next year! I understand that may not be convenient for everyone, but it's great if you have ready access to bulk supplies.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

If you look at the photo in the Taste of Beirut recipe, it says Chana Dal. They can be called yellow split peas but they are really a skinned, split variety of chick peas. This causes people to confuse them with the common North American or European yellow split pea -- much coarser, much longer cooking. Which one you have will determine the best way to use it.

In my opinion, yellow split peas make the best split pea soup.