How do you make biscuits from scratch?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 6 years ago

About 2 cups flour, a tablespoon of baking powder and just shy of a tsp of salt. Mix the dry stuff well, sift it through a wire mesh strainer if you can...or mix it well with fork.
Then cut in 1/2 cup of 'fat' element, shortening or butter or a combo of both. Cut it in with a fork and knife until it crumbs up into a cornmeal like consistency with some bigger lumps of butter. Use very cold butter fat. I give it a rest in the 'fridge to chill it some more.
Then add about 1/2 cup of milk..and mix adding just a tsp of more milk at a time until it form a loose dough...it shouldn't be 'wet'..you don't want wet---kinda crumbly
Roll out and or make little 'free form' drop biscuits and bake about ten mins at 400..brush with butter on top at the 2 mins so it browns well.

Of course there's always a short cut---"Bisquick" is a good product for quick biscuits with minimal work.