oil on conserva

Would you put the olive oil on top of the conserva if you pressure canned it or omit it?

asked by Phyllis Heil about 6 years ago

You might want to repost your question--I think the typos may be puzzling people.

Shaye

Are we sure you conserva can be canned? If you CAN can conserva, I'd be afraid that the oil would get under the lid and keep it from properly sealing. Hopefully Marisa will let us know.

Marisa McClellan

If you planned on pressure canning the conserva, it would be a different storage procedure all together from the one detailed here. You would pack the conserva into small jars, leave 3/4 inch headspace, skip the oil and follow the instructions given on the National Center for Home Food Preservation's website on pressure canning tomato sauce. You'd use the time for pint jars, even if the actual jars are smaller. http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_03/tomato_sauce.html