What do I do with Italian plums?

asked by YCM about 6 years ago

YCM
YCM

Sorry, I didn't realize I should expand on the question. I have a bunch of plums from my friend's trees. There are soooo many plums. I'm not so into canning and I've already made a galette, a crisp, plum cake.

louisez

plum jam:
2 lbs. plums, pitted and cut in chunks, 3 c. sugar, 3/4 c. water. Simmer 20 min., or till plums are soft. Puree with immersion blender. Simmer till reaches gel stage. Cool slightly, put in freezer-safe containers, and freeze.
also -- plum upside-down cake....

ATL
ATL

Plum chutney. I can't find my recipe, but you can google for a recipe. I know Martha Stewart has one. Delicious and unusual with poultry and game. Also with a bit of cream cheese on a cracker with cocktails.

ATL
ATL

Forgot to say you can freeze or refrigerate or process in a hot water bath per standard directions.

jsdunbar

You can dry them

James Durazzo

You should dry oven drying them, so that you can keep them on hand if you ever need to pair them with a nice pork dish or perhaps using them alongside a pan seared duck breast. I think the flavors will be more concentrated by oven drying them.

RobertaJ

Plum upside down cake (like a pineapple upside down cake, but with plums). Plum clafouti. THAT is to die for....

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Italian plums are the base for almost all prunes. Oven-dry or dehydrate them for longer storage.

MaddyBelle

I like RobertaJ's idea. I love to use Italian plums in tarts too.

Midge

I've made the the purple plum torte from the NY Times three times this summer and highly recommend if you're up for another cake recipe:

http://www.nytimes.com...

Plum Kuchen is also delicious.

cookinginvictoria

Have you checked out the recipes on this site from the plum contest? http://www.food52.com/contests... Lots of great recipes and many of them do not involve preserving. Plum soup anyone? I particularly love the late summer plum cake (I make it every year) and plum avocado summer salad.

healthierkitchen

Mrs.Wheelbarrow's slivovitz! See today's Washington Post food section. http://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes/2012/09/12/slivovitz/printer/

Ophelia

I totally agree with everyone who is saying to dry them. Cut them into 1/8ths and dry them in the oven. They will bear almost no resemblance to prunes even though they are made from the same fruit, instead of being sticky and slimy they turn out chewy and bright tasting.
You can also clean, slice and freeze them for later, frozen plums aren't so good in things like smoothies, but are really good for baking and I've have a couple of really good plum sorbets as well as a brown sugar ice cream with a plum swirl that was exquisite. Or make a sauce with it and freeze that (my da does this with rhubarb sauces, but plum would be good too).