🔕 🔔

What do I do with Italian plums?

asked by YCM about 5 years ago

YCM

Sorry, I didn't realize I should expand on the question. I have a bunch of plums from my friend's trees. There are soooo many plums. I'm not so into canning and I've already made a galette, a crisp, plum cake.

012dfbd1 43d9 417a ae27 f5cd7f65b8fe  img 0736

plum jam:
2 lbs. plums, pitted and cut in chunks, 3 c. sugar, 3/4 c. water. Simmer 20 min., or till plums are soft. Puree with immersion blender. Simmer till reaches gel stage. Cool slightly, put in freezer-safe containers, and freeze.
also -- plum upside-down cake....

ATL

Plum chutney. I can't find my recipe, but you can google for a recipe. I know Martha Stewart has one. Delicious and unusual with poultry and game. Also with a bit of cream cheese on a cracker with cocktails.

ATL

Forgot to say you can freeze or refrigerate or process in a hot water bath per standard directions.

You can dry them

30d29d6e ad6b 43d4 877f 543611313cd6  img 7763

You should dry oven drying them, so that you can keep them on hand if you ever need to pair them with a nice pork dish or perhaps using them alongside a pan seared duck breast. I think the flavors will be more concentrated by oven drying them.

Plum upside down cake (like a pineapple upside down cake, but with plums). Plum clafouti. THAT is to die for....

Wholefoods user icon

Italian plums are the base for almost all prunes. Oven-dry or dehydrate them for longer storage.

C129441c f15b 4f1a a9a5 fba056140e17  img 4680

I like RobertaJ's idea. I love to use Italian plums in tarts too.

Fbc31129 dd77 4f50 92da 5ddc4a29c892  summer 2010 1048

I've made the the purple plum torte from the NY Times three times this summer and highly recommend if you're up for another cake recipe:

http://www.nytimes.com...

Plum Kuchen is also delicious.

Cef49d72 d554 46db a888 e97e0311e08e  cimg0737

Have you checked out the recipes on this site from the plum contest? http://www.food52.com/contests... Lots of great recipes and many of them do not involve preserving. Plum soup anyone? I particularly love the late summer plum cake (I make it every year) and plum avocado summer salad.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

Mrs.Wheelbarrow's slivovitz! See today's Washington Post food section. http://projects.washingtonpost...

I totally agree with everyone who is saying to dry them. Cut them into 1/8ths and dry them in the oven. They will bear almost no resemblance to prunes even though they are made from the same fruit, instead of being sticky and slimy they turn out chewy and bright tasting.
You can also clean, slice and freeze them for later, frozen plums aren't so good in things like smoothies, but are really good for baking and I've have a couple of really good plum sorbets as well as a brown sugar ice cream with a plum swirl that was exquisite. Or make a sauce with it and freeze that (my da does this with rhubarb sauces, but plum would be good too).