🔕 🔔

Chicken stock congealed

I made a large batch of chicken stock about five days ago. I got lazy and let it sit in my fridge in a large bowl since then. I just went to strain out the fat and divvy it up into smaller containers to freezer when I discovered that it had turned to the consistency of jelly. What the heck?!?! I have never had this happen? All the fat appears to have floated to the top, as normal. It has been a while since I made, but isn't this just basically flavored water? I used the roasted bones from one carcass and then a bunch of raw chicken wings to make the stock. I am so confused. Can this be saved?

asked by WannabeBaker almost 4 years ago
84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

This Is good! Just what you want for a nice, rich broth. It'll melt if you serve it warm. Don't worry, it's good!

Hmm, OK. Can I still go ahead and divvy it up and freeze it as I normally would? I find this so strange - my stock is always in liquid form whenever I make it. I wonder if it's because my meat to water ratio was a lot higher by using all those chicken wings, which got packed in.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

The chicken wings have a high gelatin content, as other mentioned a chilled broth that's jelly like is good. It'll freeze fine. When you reheat it, it'll make a very rich stock.
Use a spoon while it's chilled to skim off the fat disk.

Yep, it was the wings. I sometimes buy chicken feet just to get a nice gelatinous broth. Go ahead and divvy it up. Don't worry if there's a bit that's runny and another part that's better jelled. Again, this is good!

I will add that I think five days is a little long. I'd bring it back to a simmer for 20 minutes or more, then re-cool it before freezing.

I agree too that after 5 days in the frige I would bring the stock to a boil before freezing to destroy any bacteria that may developed. Also li when it is liquid again it will be easier to portion for freezing.

3162c11b e070 4795 95d1 fd9492a6b582  lulusleep

Since it's been a while, you should listen to the others and heat up the stock and re-cool before freezing. If it's just left overnight, you can just portion out the jelly and freeze. I've done that before and it's just fine.