🔕 🔔

Plastic Containers & Storing Food -- Especially Hot Items Like Chicken Stock

I frequently make homemade chicken stock and freeze in plastic Glad-like containers. I thaw the stock out in those same containers, sometimes having to microwave for a short time to loosen them, before completely thawing/heating on the stove. But plastic use + food/storage options & dangers have me worried and confused. How else can I best freeze chicken stock? Glass seems heavy, impractical in the freezer and expensive, though I'm open to the idea if it's the best one. Advice?

asked by SuperFineSugar about 7 years ago

Af4bb2e4 2575 4563 a7f0 3861053d29cf  foodbat

I freeze chicken stock in ziploc freezer bags - it's easy to portion out that way (small for sauces, large for soups) and theres no need to partially thaw it in order to get it out of the container, you simply rip the bag up the sides and peel it off the frozen stock.

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

It's a good idea to cool the stock before pouring into plastic. Also, I sometimes freeze stock in an 8-inch square baking dish. Not practical but entirely safe.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Another cool way to freeze stock is in ice cube trays. When frozen, store cubes of stock in zipper freezer bags. Great for when you need just a bit of stock in a recipe - just grab a cube or two!

C20e8bf4 d7fe 43c8 bbf4 618738c2519e  005jan kevin2a headshot 120

I also use ziplocks. They lay flat, stack, and 15 minutes in hot tap water is enough to get it out of the bag and into a saucepan or soup pot.

8d15d9cf 7f9f 46ec a8b7 7adad145fc4e  dsc 0954 wheat bread

I do the Ziplock thing too. It makes it easiest to stack them. We have a large freezer, so I keep a running inventory on my laptop, so that when I need a certain amount of broth, all I have to do is check my inventory and see if I have it. Better than digging through the freezer!

But ziplock doesn't solve the plastics +food problem.

Personally, I'm an advocate for glass. I have a bunch of containers of different sizes with tight sealed lids. And unlike Ziplocks they are reusable and not landfill.

I use silicone muffin tins to freeze stock (in half-cup portions), then pop the frozen pucks out and put them in gallon ziplock freezer bags. When I need stock, I can pull out exactly the amount that I need, and I can reuse the ziplock bags rather than throwing them out.

I freeze my stock in mason jars. If there's less than a cup (the smallest mason jar I have), I freeze it in ice cube trays, then load the frozen cubes into a ziplock for storage. Most of the advisories/warnings I've read have been about chemicals leaching into the food when the food is heated; so long as you thaw without heat -- I figure you'll be OK.

I like the muffin tin thing for "pucks" as you might need to use them for taking practice slap shots from the blue line. You never know.The lake freezes and...