Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

received a couple pounds of garden tomatoes. Any ideas?

asked by @timbroders about 4 years ago
31cf169d f83a 458c 9946 a9a0311207c3  cumberland pass atv trip july 20 2013 019

Here is one delicious suggestion - Marcella Hazan's Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter!! Link is below:

Wholefoods user icon

A tomato jam.

Whenever I have more tomatoes than I think I can safely use, I make "Gravy." (That's tomato sauce.) I usually make it completely plain -- just tomatoes and garlic -- and freeze it. Later I can doctor it up amny way I like. There's no such thing as too much homemade tomato sauce.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

I like to use them fresh where their flavor will shine the brightest. Caprese-style salads, pastas and soups are my favorite.

Roasting them with a little olive oil and garlic is another quick and simple way of preserving the summer sunshine. Then eat them by themselves, mixed with other vegetables*, in salads, with pasta, atop pizza…

19f2e275 c635 488f 8322 530158a23e00  food52

Yes, slow roasted in olive oil, garlic and herbs. Great as a bread topping. Or, eat them fresh with salt and pepper. Use them up as quickly as possible.

When they start to turn, make tomato purée out of them. Keep it neutral so it's more versatile. The simplest thing to do is half them, then place on a roasting sheet and roast on low heat
For a couple of hours. When most of the moisture has cooked out, take them out of the oven, cool down for a bit, then run them through a food mill. Freeze it in whatever sized portions work best for you. I like to do it in ice cube trays. I often add a dollop of home made tomato purée to many sauces and soups, so the ice cube sized portions are perfect for me.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Broiled with olive oil, good parm and fresh herbs. Love them stuffed with whipped goat cheese and thyme. Baked tomatoes added to a steak salad & blue cheese. Hungry now.

3d253d10 c149 43e1 a7da 264695fe97f3  garrison family 2008

Try tomatoes with brown butter. You slice your tomatoes 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick, brown butter over med. heat in a sauce pan (brown butter is what you get just before you burn it :)) and then pour the hot butter over the tomato (in front of your guest so they can hear it sizzle), and then place a thin slice of mozarella on top and season with dried oregano or parsley flakes and pepper/salt. You can also serve this with a baguette or other artisan bread. This is a great appetizer and one your friends will remember.

E0cc9d5c 6544 49fb b0e4 5c150d9ac0f7  imag0055

Tomato sandwich every day until they are gone. Very tricky: two slices of bread, toasted if you like; thickly sliced tomato; mayonnaise (Hellman's, Kewpie . . ). The addition of bacon/lettuce merely gilds the lily. Lick your fingers, as soon there will be no more garden tomatoes, only hydroponic impostors or worse.