🔎

Use and storage recos for lots of egg yolks?

I am embarking on a new, gluten free, cooking chapter after being diagnosed with Celiac disease. My first dessert will be the Forget-It Meringue Torte from Essential NYT Cookbook. The recipe calls for the whites of 9-11 eggs. What's the best way to use and/or store so many yolks?

lisina added over 1 year ago

Make some lemon curd! (Or orange, lime, whatever). It keeps in the fridge for up to two weeks, or you can jar it. And it's gluten free!

lisina added over 1 year ago

zabaglione is another great gluten free option for your yolks but i think you'd have to eat it right away.

Randi added over 1 year ago

Great idea!

Food52
Benny added over 1 year ago

I find myself with this problem often. I actually had to make a list which is magnetized to my refridgerator to help me with using up my extra yolks and/or whites. I usually have one of the other left over from somthing. Here's what i have for yolks:

Any number of custards
Ice Creams
Holandaise/Bernaise
Mayo and/or aioli
Creamy Alfredo Sauce (yolks are used to thicken the sauce)
Pasta dough
Pastry Cream/Creme Anglaise

gina@catror added over 1 year ago
Voted the Best Answer!

Put each yolk into a section of an ice cube tray & freeze them! I usually put a zipper baggie over the whole tray to reduce freezer burn potential too. I've left them in there for up to a month, and all you need to do is thaw them out.

Ophelia added over 1 year ago

Whisk the egg yolks with one teaspoon of sugar per egg and then divvy them into an ice cube tray. This only works if you plan on using them for something sweet, but the sugar will help the yolk freeze with fewer crystals leading to a better future outcome.

Lucy Mcdonald, Crumbs Food added over 1 year ago

Massive shortcut! Buy fresh egg whites in cartons instead! They are brilliant and I use them all the time for making meringues. No more sad shrivelled egg yolks languishing in the fridge.

Randi added over 1 year ago

I will look for those in the future. The torte turned out beautifully, and I have been using the yolks little by little, mixing them with whole eggs, to make very rich scrambled eggs.

Tony S added over 1 year ago

Pots de creme!

Nasturtiums
clementinebakes added over 1 year ago

Creme Brulee! Ice Cream! Creme Anglaise!

Nasturtiums
clementinebakes added over 1 year ago

Oh, and sabayon/zabaglione will keep in the fridge for a day or two, but not more than three.

lisina added over 1 year ago

with the whites that come in the cartons, how do you know how much to add to your recipe? (like, how do you know how much equals 1 egg white?)

On the side of the carton - at least here in Britain - it tells you. I think two tablespoons = one egg white. It is so easy. I have chickens, so enjoy fresh eggs everyday, but if I'm making meringues, I always use cartons.

Birthday_2012

Meg is a trusted home cook.

If you make macarons, you can use the yolks for the filling. I have a very cute macaron cookbook that has recipes at the end for puddings, including bread puddings, that you can use leftover egg yolks in. The best ever, though, is to make a raviolo with rice pasta ... the yolk spills out when you cut into the raviolo.