Use and storage recos for lots of egg yolks?

I am embarking on a new, gluten free, cooking chapter after being diagnosed with Celiac disease. My first dessert will be the Forget-It Meringue Torte from Essential NYT Cookbook. The recipe calls for the whites of 9-11 eggs. What's the best way to use and/or store so many yolks?

• Posted by: Randi
  • September 16, 2012

lisina
lisina September 16, 2012

Make some lemon curd! (Or orange, lime, whatever). It keeps in the fridge for up to two weeks, or you can jar it. And it's gluten free!

lisina
lisina September 16, 2012

zabaglione is another great gluten free option for your yolks but i think you'd have to eat it right away.

Randi
Randi September 18, 2012

Great idea!

Benny
Benny September 16, 2012

I find myself with this problem often. I actually had to make a list which is magnetized to my refridgerator to help me with using up my extra yolks and/or whites. I usually have one of the other left over from somthing. Here's what i have for yolks:

Any number of custards
Ice Creams
Holandaise/Bernaise
Mayo and/or aioli
Creamy Alfredo Sauce (yolks are used to thicken the sauce)
Pasta dough
Pastry Cream/Creme Anglaise

Voted the Best Reply!

gina@catror
[email protected] September 16, 2012

Put each yolk into a section of an ice cube tray & freeze them! I usually put a zipper baggie over the whole tray to reduce freezer burn potential too. I've left them in there for up to a month, and all you need to do is thaw them out.

Ophelia
Ophelia September 18, 2012

Whisk the egg yolks with one teaspoon of sugar per egg and then divvy them into an ice cube tray. This only works if you plan on using them for something sweet, but the sugar will help the yolk freeze with fewer crystals leading to a better future outcome.

Lucy Mcdonald, Crumbs Food
Lucy Mcdonald, Crumbs Food September 17, 2012

Massive shortcut! Buy fresh egg whites in cartons instead! They are brilliant and I use them all the time for making meringues. No more sad shrivelled egg yolks languishing in the fridge.

Randi
Randi September 18, 2012

I will look for those in the future. The torte turned out beautifully, and I have been using the yolks little by little, mixing them with whole eggs, to make very rich scrambled eggs.

Tony S
Tony S September 17, 2012

Pots de creme!

minibakersupreme
minibakersupreme September 18, 2012

Creme Brulee! Ice Cream! Creme Anglaise!

minibakersupreme
minibakersupreme September 18, 2012

Oh, and sabayon/zabaglione will keep in the fridge for a day or two, but not more than three.

lisina
lisina September 19, 2012

with the whites that come in the cartons, how do you know how much to add to your recipe? (like, how do you know how much equals 1 egg white?)

Lucy Mcdonald, Crumbs Food
Lucy Mcdonald, Crumbs Food September 19, 2012

On the side of the carton - at least here in Britain - it tells you. I think two tablespoons = one egg white. It is so easy. I have chickens, so enjoy fresh eggs everyday, but if I'm making meringues, I always use cartons.

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks September 19, 2012

If you make macarons, you can use the yolks for the filling. I have a very cute macaron cookbook that has recipes at the end for puddings, including bread puddings, that you can use leftover egg yolks in. The best ever, though, is to make a raviolo with rice pasta ... the yolk spills out when you cut into the raviolo.