🔕 🔔

Use and storage recos for lots of egg yolks?

I am embarking on a new, gluten free, cooking chapter after being diagnosed with Celiac disease. My first dessert will be the Forget-It Meringue Torte from Essential NYT Cookbook. The recipe calls for the whites of 9-11 eggs. What's the best way to use and/or store so many yolks?

asked by Randi over 5 years ago

lisina

Make some lemon curd! (Or orange, lime, whatever). It keeps in the fridge for up to two weeks, or you can jar it. And it's gluten free!

lisina

zabaglione is another great gluten free option for your yolks but i think you'd have to eat it right away.

Randi

Great idea!

Benny

I find myself with this problem often. I actually had to make a list which is magnetized to my refridgerator to help me with using up my extra yolks and/or whites. I usually have one of the other left over from somthing. Here's what i have for yolks:

Any number of custards
Ice Creams
Holandaise/Bernaise
Mayo and/or aioli
Creamy Alfredo Sauce (yolks are used to thicken the sauce)
Pasta dough
Pastry Cream/Creme Anglaise

Lucy Mcdonald, Crumbs Food

Massive shortcut! Buy fresh egg whites in cartons instead! They are brilliant and I use them all the time for making meringues. No more sad shrivelled egg yolks languishing in the fridge.

Randi

I will look for those in the future. The torte turned out beautifully, and I have been using the yolks little by little, mixing them with whole eggs, to make very rich scrambled eggs.

Tony S

Pots de creme!

minibakersupreme

Creme Brulee! Ice Cream! Creme Anglaise!

minibakersupreme

Oh, and sabayon/zabaglione will keep in the fridge for a day or two, but not more than three.

lisina

with the whites that come in the cartons, how do you know how much to add to your recipe? (like, how do you know how much equals 1 egg white?)

Lucy Mcdonald, Crumbs Food

On the side of the carton - at least here in Britain - it tells you. I think two tablespoons = one egg white. It is so easy. I have chickens, so enjoy fresh eggs everyday, but if I'm making meringues, I always use cartons.

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

If you make macarons, you can use the yolks for the filling. I have a very cute macaron cookbook that has recipes at the end for puddings, including bread puddings, that you can use leftover egg yolks in. The best ever, though, is to make a raviolo with rice pasta ... the yolk spills out when you cut into the raviolo.