🔕 🔔

Cooking with Pollock

So, being a poor college student, I eager snatched up a bag of frozen pollock fillets that were on sale this week. But I have never cooked it before and was wondering what methods/flavors might be best. Any ideas for quick dinners?

asked by chez_mere almost 4 years ago
Wholefoods user icon

Food.com has 39 recipes for pollock, from baked to sauteed to pan-fried to deep-fried.

http://www.food.com/recipe...

C4c10cd5 69e8 4d54 b39c c5870da2826b  james joyce 1

If you like fish and chips pollock is great for that. You will need a vessel for deep frying (both the pollock and the chips).

A quick and way is en papillote, which is basically fish baked in parchment (a paper bag or aluminum foil works too). You can cooking with hundreds of variations. Take fish put it in the middle of parchment (or alternative), top with sauce, veggies. Seal up like a calzone, place on baking sheet with rim, and bake at 400F for about 10-15 mins depending on thickness of fish. Then serve and enjoy. Like getting a wrapped gift at dinner. Then throw out paper and clean-up takes about 5 minutes, max.

My favorite toppings or add-ins:
- soy sauce, thinly sliced scallions, chili oil (or sesame oil)
- black bean sauce, scallions, bell peppers
- dijon mustard, butter, tarragon, salt
- bbq dry rub, broccoli/cauliflower/carrots, butter/oil
- sambal oelek, soy sauce, and sliced shallots
- thai curry sauce, baby corn, onions, peppers, dash of fish sauce (or salt)

B326f2aa 4cfa 4d70 b257 84552ba55367  img 1698

Oh, I really like this. I have done it before, but not in ages. Thanks for reminding me of the versatility of this under-used cooking technique!

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

I was going to say en papillote too - because of the moist cooking environment it's easy to get a good result :) HalfPint gives some great suggestions for sauces.

If you're going to include vegetables in the packet, you may want to partially cook them first to make sure they're done when the fish is done. White wine + dijon + fresh herbs of your choice is a very easy no-brainer of a sauce to go with.

6f611b78 35b4 4186 89ad c38b035b32f3  08270410avatar messbrasil

I second the papillote idea,but if you want to try something new,try some passion fruit juice on the sauce.