Rice flour and AP flour

When substituting white rice flour for AP flour does one use equal measures?

asked by Lorenza almost 4 years ago
Wholefoods user icon

Depends on what the recipe is, but in general, rice flour alone cannot substitute for wheat flour.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

I recommend making a blend of gluten-free flours to sub for all-purpose. I usually use a mixture of rice flour, sorghum flour, millet flour, and cornstarch (you could also use tapioca starch or glutinous rice flour instead of cornstarch). All of these are available from Bob's Red Mill. If the baked good in question needs to hold together (i.e. a quick bread or something like that), I'll add a teaspoon or so of guar gum.

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

Rice flour & AP have completely different properties, not sure what application you require the substitution for..

8a2c197a eaf6 414d 8be8 e1212df9ad42  nasturtiums

I can only echo what everyone else has said. Rice flour does not have the protein that AP Flour has. I would check out this post on Gluten Free Girl and the Chef about making your own gluten-free baking mix (I assume that's what you're using it for): http://glutenfreegirl.com...