Rice flour and AP flour

When substituting white rice flour for AP flour does one use equal measures?

• Posted by: Lorenza
  • September 22, 2012

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Depends on what the recipe is, but in general, rice flour alone cannot substitute for wheat flour.

petitbleu
petitbleu September 23, 2012

I recommend making a blend of gluten-free flours to sub for all-purpose. I usually use a mixture of rice flour, sorghum flour, millet flour, and cornstarch (you could also use tapioca starch or glutinous rice flour instead of cornstarch). All of these are available from Bob's Red Mill. If the baked good in question needs to hold together (i.e. a quick bread or something like that), I'll add a teaspoon or so of guar gum.

Panfusine
Panfusine September 23, 2012

Rice flour & AP have completely different properties, not sure what application you require the substitution for..

minibakersupreme
minibakersupreme September 23, 2012

I can only echo what everyone else has said. Rice flour does not have the protein that AP Flour has. I would check out this post on Gluten Free Girl and the Chef about making your own gluten-free baking mix (I assume that's what you're using it for): http://glutenfreegirl.com...