Party Help!

Is this enough food for a hors deurves adult engagement party for 70? Starts at 3 pm and ends at approx 7 pm. 175 pieces of prosciutto/honeydew, breadstick w/ fig, Thai chicken wraps, 125 pieces, Filet mignon garlic crostini, 150 pieces, baby lamb chops, 100 pieces, miniature rice balls, 150 pieces, lime grilled shrimp (mini marti glasses), 150 pieces, pasta appetizer station of orchchiette w/ carbonara sauce and lobster ravioli w/ champagne sauce. Full open bar & coffee/tea service.

sexyLAMBCHOPx September 24, 2012

The host will be making an elaborate crudite and cheese platter. In addition, his future MIL will be making her family eggplant dish. The host will be making pastitso - all to be portined by servers via appetizer sized plates. I suggested parmesean cups with mixed salad to be offrered by the pasta stations. Dessers will include 7 different pastry minature cups fruit.

mrslarkin September 24, 2012

whoa, that's some party! I might have to crash. They should just get married while they're at it and call it a wedding.

That's smack-dab in the middle of dinner, and people are going to be hungry. If i did my math right, that comes to about 12ish pieces of food per person. Plus crudite, cheese, pastitsio, breadsticks, and pasta, and your salad (I would do a salad), and desserts. I'm guessing there's also going to be a cake at this shindig. Maybe have a backup pasta dish, like penne ala vodka or something super simple, in case you start to run low. What I learned from my catering days, (and from being Italian in general) it's always better to have leftovers, than to run out of food. But I am certainly no expert, so would like to hear thoughts from others who do this for a living.

Good luck with the party planning!

Pastor Paul
Pastor Paul September 24, 2012

Have you ever looked at http://www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/appetizer.html
That site has recommended serving portions for large gatherings.

sexyLAMBCHOPx September 24, 2012

MrsLarkin - you're a doll. I've been asked at the last minute to help out with the coordinating caterers & renting a tent, chairs, etc. They're having another "all white" engagement party the following week at another house. My main concern was enough food because of the time, as you noted.
Pastor Paul - no, but I will now.

pierino September 24, 2012

Sounds like a helluva great spread. I agree with Mrs. Larkin that it's best to have more than less.

sexyLAMBCHOPx September 24, 2012

Thanks so much all!

Pastor Paul
Pastor Paul September 24, 2012

What is an "all white" engagement party? I hope I'm not demonstrating my ignorance :)

sexyLAMBCHOPx September 24, 2012

The decorations, guests and groom(s) attire and food is all white...

Pastor Paul
Pastor Paul September 24, 2012

Interesting. Good luck with that!!!

Bevi
Bevi September 24, 2012

I would say you are on the money. A cocktail hour typically requires 3-4 apps per person. You are serving for 4 hours, so 12-ish is a good gauge, not to mention all your other offerings. I had a great app this past weekend - one chunk each of watermelon, cucumber, and feta on a toothpick - super easy and filling. I am in the camp of more food as well. The pastas, especially, will be welcomed for their reheating efficiency with all this exhausting partying going on!

boulangere September 24, 2012

You have a lovely combination of finger foods and more substantial dishes. As well, the pastas that you've chosen are easy to prepare in bulk, hold well, and make great leftovers for feeding out-of-town guests the next day with some breads and a big green salad. You also have some good vegetarian offerings, though you might consider one more; the green salad suggestion is wonderful. Your guests will be able to graze, visit, graze some more, and leave happily well fed and having visited with all. I don't know how you plan to present everything, but you might consider renting maybe 4 tall cocktail tables. They will elevate platters above the seating level, and encourage grazing which incorporates moving about the room(s) so you don't have traffic bottlenecks. Also consider renting 120" round tablecloths to drape them (white is always the most available and economical) because they will reach to the floor, and then tie them loosely around the base with wide ribbons in the couple's colors so that your guests don't trip over them. My son is getting married next summer, and I am looking forward to similar events myself, and I called dibs on the wedding cake months ago. Your party will be different and distinct from the all-white event, and I imagine you will all have a wonderful time!

boulangere September 24, 2012

And speaking of cake, I just noticed that there are no desserts on your menu. A fruit platter would be lovely. But for true desserts, perhaps think about a cupcake tower. I haunt Ross and TJ Max regularly, and have gotten some great tiered stands for $10 or so. Find a friend who makes them well, and most importantly, can decorate them "over the top." If I lived closer to you, I'd be your baker!

drbabs September 24, 2012

I can't add anything of value. I just want to tell you that it sounds wonderful. I may find mrslarkin and crash with her. And I agree with having more food than you think you need. Have fun!