The exclusive Italian nonstick from Ballarini the pros swear by. Shop now »
🔕 🔔

masa vs. maseca

I've made tortillas before using masa flour from Bob's Red Mill. Just picked up some Maseca brand masa (labeled "instant masa") and want to know how this is different - both in flavor and in the process of making tortillas or pupusas.

asked by linzarella over 4 years ago
84e1393f 0d16 4291 80cf 2c42b5acf188  noz photo

As far as I know it's just much more finely ground -- that's the only difference.

You can find our article about corn meal vs masa vs grits here:

http://www.food52.com/blog...

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Maseca makes both white and yellow masa harina ("dough flour"). The "instant" refers to the speed at which you can produce a dough, i.e. "instant dough", as opposed to starting with dried corn, soaking it in lime, etc.

I believe Bob's Red Mill only makes the yellow. Obviously there will be a difference in flavor if you're comparing yellow to white but otherwise they are comparable products.