🔕 🔔

For an event this weekend, I'll be making Spanish tortilla rounds topped with a sundried tomato/red pepper/manchego pesto. I want to top each tortilla round with a little dollop of pesto as part of the garnish, but I'm concerned about it separating during the event, and I don't want the platter to end up with splotches of red oil under each round. Any thoughts for preventing this? Maybe top with a little creme fraiche first, then the pesto to keep it contained? I've had the jar on the counter and have been draining the oil as it rises to the surface, but not sure that'll do the trick.

asked by campagnes about 7 years ago

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

If it's super smooth, you can put it in a squeezy-bottle, cut the tip as needed, and shake it up real good to emulsify. Then squeeze away. It may separate a little, but I think it sounds really great!

If you put creme fraiche on, I think it might turn pink and oozy once you top that with the pesto. I probably wouldn't do that.

I know rounds are more elegant, but you could do squares, too, and it'll save you loads of time cutting the tortillas. Especially if you're cooking the tortillas in a sheet pan, which I think you can do. You are talking about the frittata-like things, right??

8e94e86b faa9 42ae 93f9 c243369e2b3f  cakecake

yep, frittata-like things. Funny you should mention cutting them in squares.. I was just mulling that over myself because I really don't feel like cutting out a zillion little rounds. Squares - it's settled. :) Love the squeezy-bottle idea.. I might even have one lying around somewhere. Thanks, mrslarkin!

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Stop! Don't toss that pesto oil! !You could gently poach the potatoes in the pesto oil and then sprinkle some pesto in with the egg mixture, then top with creme fraiche and a stem of chive or a thin strip of green onion.

Or top it with an uncooked sofrito, made the day before and drained overnight in a sieve over a bowl in the refrigerator.

Are you making individual (mini) tortillas, or big ones that will be sliced into wedges?

Oh, believe you me, I'm savin' that oil.. smells too good to toss. :) I'm planning to make a large tortilla (similar to mrslarkin's take above) and cut it into rounds or squares. It's a small event, so not too labor-intensive.

That's kind of what I was thinking as far as garnish.. tortilla round/square, dollop of pesto, X of chive stems. Although now you've swayed me.. adding the pesto directly to the eggs and topping with creme fraiche solves the weepy pesto problem and might make the tortillas themselves a little more interesting. I might just do that, and use the squirty bottle for the creme fraiche.

See.. you people are fantastic. :) So glad I found this forum.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Sounds like your problem is solved (btw, cutting the tortilla into squares will also mean less 'waste' - no odd bits leftover between round cuts.) But, here are a couple of other suggestions, anyway: 1) unless you need to serve all the tortilla pieces at once, you could set out smaller amounts and replenish the platter as needed, quickly adding the dabs of pesto as you refill - i.e., less time for the pesto to sit out and separate. Or, 2) you could serve the tortilla pieces 'naked' (maybe just adorned with a scattering of chives for color) - and the creme fresh and pesto in small pretty bowls with spoons alongside - so guests garnish their own piece, again avoiding the messy bleeding pesto oil issue. I sometimes do this with mini potato pancakes - serve creme fresh, smoked trout/salmon flakes, caviar (if I'm feeling flush), etc. on the side to be garnished as eaten. Just some thoughts.

Fabulous tortilla hint from Jose Andres' book, Tapas. Use good potato chips instead of frying potatoes. You re-constitute them in the eggs for a bit before cooking. Really delicious!

What a great idea, innoabrd.. definitely keeping that in mind! I've found out that I really love tortillas and will be making them again.

oooh, amysarah.. potato pancakes with creme fraiche and smoked trout.. I shall dream of this tonight. :)

Thanks so much for all your thoughts, everyone. I decided to go ahead and top the tortilla squares (not rounds!) with the drained pesto. I used less on each square than I'd intended and I mostly topped them as needed.. went off without a hitch. :)