I made a pretzel crust last night (2 1/4 cup crushed pretzel crumbs, 10 tbsp butter, 1/4 cup sugar) and baked for 8 minutes. Though it tasted great, it was really crumbly and didn't really hold together. Any suggestions to keep it from falling apart?

• Posted by: dahliat
  • November 21, 2010

drbabs November 21, 2010

Here's a guess: the pretzels were probably really heavily coated and shiny so parts of their surfaces repelled the butter instead of absorbing it to hold the crust together. Does that ring true? You'd probably want to use a pretzel with a flat rather than shiny surface for the crust.

TiggyBee
TiggyBee November 21, 2010

I agree with drbabs on the coating. Another possibility is that the pretzels weren't crushed fine enough.

drbabs November 21, 2010

Yes, that was my other thought, TiggyBee.

dahliat
dahliat November 21, 2010

It was shiny, and not all the pieces were fully crushed, so I'll try crushing them finer next time. Thanks!

happycao
happycao November 22, 2010

good idea though! did you use salted pretzels and turn it into a sweet/salty combo?

dahliat
dahliat November 22, 2010

Yup, that's exactly what I did. Put a chocolate layer on the bottom of the crust and then filled with peanut butter cream. The problem with the crumbly crust was that the chocolate was really hard to spread out and ended up lumpy, but still very tasty.