Lavender Salt?

I recently got some Lavender Salt as a gift. It's very fragrant - I really love lavender, but this stuff is intense. I'm sort of stumped, and would love some ideas about how to use it! I know you guys know what's what!

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

asked almost 6 years ago

a Whole Foods Market Customer

I wouldn't use lavender salt as anything but a bath salt... but that's just me.

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Depending on its consistency, you could potentially sprinkle it on (or use it in) a cookie recipe - such as shortbread or even a scone. Similar to a salted caramel effect. In fact, you could potentially use it to season a caramel.

nutcakes

I have had it served in a little side dish with some lamb pops (frenched single chops basically) at a very nice little French place in San Fran. Good combination.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Sprinkled over fresh goat cheese and a touch of honey. Or it's too crazy?

I would use it for lamb and fish., but be sparing if it is a strongly-flavored salt. I think you could use it for foods that are seasoned with herbes de Provence--lavender is often one of the herbs in this mixture.

JustSomeCook

I agree with all who suggested lamb. Goat would also go very well with a hit of lavender, but I would be careful with lightly flavored fish as the strong floral flavor would overwhelm them.

It might also go over well as a rimming salt for cocktails. Campari and soda with a lavender rim would be pretty nice.

It would work very well with goat, but I didn't suggest it because I don't know how easy it is to get a good-quality goat in the US. You may have a point on the fish, but I don't like fish, so anything that changes the flavor is good in my book. I love the idea of using the lavender salt with Campari and soda and will give it a try!

More ideas:
http://www.thekitchn.com...

Lamb and pork sound good to me...especially roasted.

I second Sarah Reinertsen's motion to use it on scones. I also loooooove Queen Sashy's suggestion about goat cheese and honey. I'm also thinking of it sprinkled over caramels. Lucky you to have received such a kind gift!

Miranda Rake
Miranda Rake

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

Thank you all! I love the scone idea, and I think the honey + goat cheese suggestion will be dinner tonight!