🔕 🔔

Anyone know where I can find the herb lovage? Whole Foods? Fairway? Found this interesting cocktail recipe that uses the herb. I've read it tastes like celery.

http://events.nytimes.com...

asked by mrslarkin almost 7 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I've not seen it. You could probably substitute celery leaves, though you may need to use more than recipe calls for.

72b8c92f c97c 49cf 8fc2 4b08462521f6  me

Celery is not the same. I have. Never seen it in the store. If you were my neighbor I would say come pick some. It is still growing in my kitchen garden.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

thanks, all.

thirschfeld, do you use it a lot?

While working at a historical village, we grew lovage in the garden at the Inn and often used it in soups and savory dishes. It is very much like celery and I loved it. I think using it in a cocktail is very intriguing!

Ad0d3623 a28a 4793 82a8 5f1ab0a2f633  dsc00426

i think of it as a spring/summer herb, so i don't know how easy it would be to find it right now. and, as the former bartender of the restaurant where this cocktail comes from, i can tell you it goes down really easy. looking at the recipe the times gives, though, i'd show a little more restraint with the syrup in the cocktail, or else it will be too sweet. use the syrup with fresh lime juice and soda water to make a fantastic soda, too.

Aa0aef2d aae3 438c a22e 1340af35ed29  face hat underpainting 1

Not the same as lovage (or celery), but fresh marjoram seems like it would be a great note for a similar cocktail.

I like having it around but I do not use it a lot. It is a perrinail and very hardy. I use it in stocks, make a cream cheese spread with it, it is good in soups. It is sort of like marjoram, a little goes a long way. But since it cost $1.99 for the start and I have had it going on 10 years it is worth planting if you have the space.

2fc558a8 bd7d 4d57 9ed4 e14a7fcea429  fb avatar

You might try calling any herb farm places in your area. My local has a display garden with lovage in it. If you haven't had a killing frost yet, any outdoor plants might still be harvestable. And, since you're making a syrup, you might be able to use stalks and leaves if you can't get enough leaves. You could sub celery (chinese celery if you can get it), a strip of orange peel and maybe a few crushed coriander seeds.

Per Thirschfield's advice, it is a perennial and most likely you will have to grow it yourself as it's kind of "tree-like". Your odds of finding it commercially are pretty slim. Although you might try Union Square green market.

Another great herb you won't find in markets is lemon verbena. Kind of a southern thing. Good in cocktails but one of my author/editor friends uses it in this fantastic recipe for peaches.

I love using lovage in soups and stews , such a delicious flavor, especially combined with bors, which is a sour water, made from fermented wheat bran ... wish I could find bors in California, but had to bring some dry version from Europe, but is not the same :( ; the result is a delicious !