Anyone know where I can find the herb lovage? Whole Foods? Fairway? Found this interesting cocktail recipe that uses the herb. I've read it tastes like celery.

http://events.nytimes.com...

hardlikearmour November 21, 2010

I've not seen it. You could probably substitute celery leaves, though you may need to use more than recipe calls for.

thirschfeld
thirschfeld November 21, 2010

Celery is not the same. I have. Never seen it in the store. If you were my neighbor I would say come pick some. It is still growing in my kitchen garden.

mrslarkin November 21, 2010

thanks, all.

thirschfeld, do you use it a lot?

PepperGirl
PepperGirl November 21, 2010

While working at a historical village, we grew lovage in the garden at the Inn and often used it in soups and savory dishes. It is very much like celery and I loved it. I think using it in a cocktail is very intriguing!

vvvanessa
vvvanessa November 21, 2010

i think of it as a spring/summer herb, so i don't know how easy it would be to find it right now. and, as the former bartender of the restaurant where this cocktail comes from, i can tell you it goes down really easy. looking at the recipe the times gives, though, i'd show a little more restraint with the syrup in the cocktail, or else it will be too sweet. use the syrup with fresh lime juice and soda water to make a fantastic soda, too.

Queen of Spoons
Queen of Spoons November 21, 2010

Not the same as lovage (or celery), but fresh marjoram seems like it would be a great note for a similar cocktail.

thirschfeld
thirschfeld November 22, 2010

I like having it around but I do not use it a lot. It is a perrinail and very hardy. I use it in stocks, make a cream cheese spread with it, it is good in soups. It is sort of like marjoram, a little goes a long way. But since it cost $1.99 for the start and I have had it going on 10 years it is worth planting if you have the space.

Savorykitchen
Savorykitchen November 22, 2010

You might try calling any herb farm places in your area. My local has a display garden with lovage in it. If you haven't had a killing frost yet, any outdoor plants might still be harvestable. And, since you're making a syrup, you might be able to use stalks and leaves if you can't get enough leaves. You could sub celery (chinese celery if you can get it), a strip of orange peel and maybe a few crushed coriander seeds.

pierino November 22, 2010

Per Thirschfield's advice, it is a perennial and most likely you will have to grow it yourself as it's kind of "tree-like". Your odds of finding it commercially are pretty slim. Although you might try Union Square green market.

Another great herb you won't find in markets is lemon verbena. Kind of a southern thing. Good in cocktails but one of my author/editor friends uses it in this fantastic recipe for peaches.

Ajda
Ajda April 21, 2011

I love using lovage in soups and stews , such a delicious flavor, especially combined with bors, which is a sour water, made from fermented wheat bran ... wish I could find bors in California, but had to bring some dry version from Europe, but is not the same :( ; the result is a delicious !