🔕 🔔

Can I substitute cornstarch for tapioca starch, and if so, can I substitute it 1:1?

asked about 5 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Yes, for the most part. It is a 1:1 substitute. Cornstarch needs more heat to set and breaks down with acid more easily. If you have instant tapioca, you can blitz it in a spice grinder instead. What are you using it for?

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

Thanks! I'm making a clafoutis in Canelle et Vanille's new book.

I think it'll work, though may have a slightly less chewy texture. It's gluten free, right? Maybe message beyond celery - she's great with gluten free baking..

I know this question was over a year ago, but it's something I been trying to figure out for awhile now! Apparently tapioca is better than corn starch for pies that will be frozen, and I been making pies for friends/neighbors for awhile now. The demand is so high that I could almost quit my day job! lol But a big question is if they can be frozen... It's a corn starch based pie and apparently freezing cornstarch doesn't work well.. Thank Again! =)

I have used cornstarch before in many receipes and found that as long as you mix it really well,there is no issue with freezing.