🔕 🔔

Can I use vegetable oil spread (blue bonnet) in place of butter for a crumble topping

For a coffee cake topping

asked by David a about 5 years ago

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

I would think you'd get quite different results in terms of taste and texture, but I've never tried it myself.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

I have used margarine, it turns out fine. Not sure about the soft spreads, though.

A7132580 ab6d 4637 9b1a ed4f3f514400  scplogoblog

Are you in a rush? Last minute discovery that you didn't have the ingredient you needed? Then yes, by all means, go ahead. It won't be the same and, in my opinion, butter is ALWAYS better, but sometimes you just need a fat to mix with your solids and you've gotta grab what you've got. If you are substituting for other reasons (e.g., you prefer a vegan solution) there are much better alternatives (in terms of taste and texture) such as coconut oil.

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

If that's your only choice than I would make sure the spread is very cold before adding it and be careful not to overwork the crumble as you're making it.

see

Yes, you can use margerine to make a crumble, but there are probably healthier options than BB.
If that is what you have on hand use it and do as previous post said-keep it cold, work quickly and enjoy the crumble.