A question about a recipe: Nigel Slater's Extremely Moist Chocolate-Beet Cake

24a3fcb4 9020 4217 9c50 75091cc68138  food52 09 04 12 0044

I have a question about the ingredient "1/4 cup hot espresso" on the recipe "Nigel Slater's Extremely Moist Chocolate-Beet Cake" from Genius Recipes. Is strong coffee a substitute for Expresso?

asked by Susan Mullen about 6 years ago

Yes that should be fine, as long as it's the same amount. You can't taste the espresso -- it just enhances the chocolate flavor. Hope you like it!

K_Squared

I agree, for this recipe. For other recipes where coffee flavor is actually necessary, espresso provides a concentrated, strong presence while regular coffee might be a little too watered-down. If you absolutely can't use espresso, make sure the coffee is brewed strong and as dark as possible.