OK to freeze fresh baked whole wheat French bread?
Are you channeling your best self with this comment? (If you're not sure, check out our Code of Conduct.)
Barbara is a trusted source on General Cooking.
Yes; wait till it's totally cool and wrap it well.
Thanks, Dr.Babs- looks like I'll bake it today and the family will eat it Thursday. Have a great holiday!
Please post the recipe!
The recipe is from Beth HEnsberger's Bread Machine Cookbook, page 206.
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup water
3 cups whole grain flour
1 T gluten with Vitamin c
1 1/2 t salt
1 package yeart
1. Place all ingredients in pan and choose dough cycle.
2. At end of cycle, deflate dough and wait 30 minutes- dough in machine, lid closed.
3. Remove dough, knead with dough card, pat out into 12X6 inch rectangle. At this point I chose to add the optional 1 1/2 cups of raisins. You could add currants, chopped dried apricots, coarsely chopped walnuts, pecans or hazelnuts. Press additional choices into dough. Or add nothing. whatever you like.
4. Roll dough up to a long oval and allow it to rise beneath a clean tea towel. At this point, contrary to directions, I place dough on the sheet on which I'll later bake it.
5. Slash or cut the surface of the dough 4 or 5 times along the length of the loaf, about an inch deep. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 32-38 minutes.
Directions call for bread stone, which I omitted because my bread stone broke and I never replaced it, so I simply baked it on the baking sheet I used for the final rise.
I also made two baguettes rather than one. Eat one freeze one. ;)
Wrap the cooled bread tightly in plastic - I usually use 2-3 layers and freeze.
Let it thaw in plastic at room temp and heat, unwrapped in a 350 oven for 5-10 minutes
Please enter a valid email address.
Well played. You deserve a cookie.
Plus, a fresh, spring-y take on cabbage rolls.
A Crazy Cabbage Hack
This Garlic Bread Went to Space
Mediterranean Kitchen Mats in Bold New Patterns
Tempura Fiddleheads with Sriracha Sauce
Off-the-Beaten-Path Picks for Mom