A question about a recipe: Thai Peanut Butter Cups

A39835e7 3deb 4a0d 9b9d ab1207fedf57  food52 02 21 12 8672

I have a question about the ingredient "lime zest, grated" on the recipe "Thai Peanut Butter Cups" from vrunka. Can I substitute lemon zest for lime zest?

asked almost 6 years ago

Marian Bull

You totally can. The flavor will be a little bit different, but they should still turn out great.

fiveandspice
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

I would say you definitely can, but I think orange zest might even be a little better.

I agree. Any citrus zest would probably work well. Orange and chocolate are a great flavor pairing.

I'm sure you can substitute any citrus zest for the lime, but won't the dish lose some of its "Thai-ness?"

vrunka

I agree that you can use any citrus zest and it will be tasty, but it will lose its quintessential Thai flavor. But if you try it, let us know how it turned out!

Agree that you can, but I find that the lemon fragrance isn't as assertive as lime or any other citrus, and it tends to get lost in strong flavors like chocolate or peanut butter.