🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Truly Scrumptious Apple Pie

B82dedc4 e5c4 426e 9998 e5e6b151515b  2013 0916 wc scrumptious apple pie 003 1

I have a question about the ingredient "very cold vegetable shortening, cut into chunks" on the recipe "Truly Scrumptious Apple Pie" from mrslarkin. fats

asked by mosteff about 5 years ago

5dd58b70 52d5 415a 8478 ba9053b33e62  kenzi
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

Can you clarify what your question is? We'd be happy to help if you do!

39c04017 7e7e 43b2 9344 e529de61a1bd  kandm
Kristy Mucci

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

Hey there, it looks like you asked your question in the "tags" section of the form, so people might not have seen it. But the answer is yes, you can use butter in pie crust. Make sure to keep it unsalted butter!

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

Yes, you can make the dough for this recipe using all butter. The pie is delicious, by the way!

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

If you're relatively new to making pie crusts or making pie crusts with just butter, no shortening, I recommend taking a look at this post on Food52 boulangere's blog: http://thesolitarycook...

Can this pie be assembled in the evening (including top crust crimped down, etc.), popped in the fridge and then baked first thing in the morning? Thank you so much. ;o)

I wouldn't do that--I think it would ensure a soggy bottom. I also wonder what the apples would look like--however, since they will be baked, it might not make any difference if they get dark.

Thanks, Maedl! What do you think about keeping the bottom crust frozen, and then dumping the prepared apples in it and covering with a cold crust, and then putting it right back in the freezer? I didn't realize this question was appended to an existing hotline question, so I'll post this follow up question separately, too. Thanks again! ;o)

Well, it would be interesting to try it and see what happens--basically you would do it like a frozen pie. I would try this on myself before I tried it on any company though, because I hate soggy bottoms, and without blind baking the crust, I’d be worried. If you do try the frozen crust, report back on the results, please!