A question about a recipe: Truly Scrumptious Apple Pie

I have a question about the ingredient "very cold vegetable shortening, cut into chunks" on the recipe "Truly Scrumptious Apple Pie" from mrslarkin. fats

• Posted by: mosteff
  • October 26, 2012
B82dedc4 e5c4 426e 9998 e5e6b151515b  2013 0916 wc scrumptious apple pie 003 1
Recipe question for: Truly Scrumptious Apple Pie

Kenzi Wilbur
Kenzi Wilbur October 26, 2012

Can you clarify what your question is? We'd be happy to help if you do!

Kristy Mucci
Kristy Mucci October 26, 2012

Hey there, it looks like you asked your question in the "tags" section of the form, so people might not have seen it. But the answer is yes, you can use butter in pie crust. Make sure to keep it unsalted butter!

Merrill Stubbs October 26, 2012

Yes, you can make the dough for this recipe using all butter. The pie is delicious, by the way!

Greenstuff October 26, 2012

If you're relatively new to making pie crusts or making pie crusts with just butter, no shortening, I recommend taking a look at this post on Food52 boulangere's blog: http://thesolitarycook.wordpress.com/2012/07/28/perfect-flaky-pastry/

AntoniaJames September 29, 2013

Can this pie be assembled in the evening (including top crust crimped down, etc.), popped in the fridge and then baked first thing in the morning? Thank you so much. ;o)

Maedl September 30, 2013

I wouldn't do that--I think it would ensure a soggy bottom. I also wonder what the apples would look like--however, since they will be baked, it might not make any difference if they get dark.

AntoniaJames September 30, 2013

Thanks, Maedl! What do you think about keeping the bottom crust frozen, and then dumping the prepared apples in it and covering with a cold crust, and then putting it right back in the freezer? I didn't realize this question was appended to an existing hotline question, so I'll post this follow up question separately, too. Thanks again! ;o)

Maedl September 30, 2013

Well, it would be interesting to try it and see what happens--basically you would do it like a frozen pie. I would try this on myself before I tried it on any company though, because I hate soggy bottoms, and without blind baking the crust, I’d be worried. If you do try the frozen crust, report back on the results, please!