🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Sweet Potato and Pancetta Gratin

13b78df4 1aea 49a7 b56f e19f91d1506e  121410f 051

I have a question about the ingredient "pancetta, diced small (1 cup)" on the recipe "Sweet Potato and Pancetta Gratin" from cnevertz. Can I substitute bacon for the pancetta? If so, should I cook it first?

asked by Eggplayer about 5 years ago

84e1393f 0d16 4291 80cf 2c42b5acf188  noz photo

You could easily swap in bacon! I would cut it into cubes and then briefly crisp it up in a skillet -- just until halfway cooked, since it will crisp up further in the oven.

9b94e94b 0205 4f2c bb79 1845dcd6f7d6  uruguay2010 61

Pancetta is dry cured and not usually smoked. American bacon is pumped with water, salt, sugar and other cure ingredients and usually smoked. Yes you can substitute, but the flavour is different.