Turkey Options for a Brazilian Thanksgiving

Last Year,our Surprise Brazilian Thanksgiving for a friend who moved back to Brazil from NY was so much fun and you guys were so great helping me and my mom with it that I decided to do it again this year,but it's probably not going to be a surprise anymore...so I was thinking of going smaller this year,and not doing a whole turkey,but some other turkey dish that would be both delicious and festive but simple,cause I've been a bit careless with my credit cards and money is a bit tight!Will you help one more time?Thanks!

hardlikearmour November 4, 2012

One of my favorite after Thanksgiving traditions is to make a big pot of gumbo with left over turkey. I sometimes turn it into a cajun/creole party so make the turkey gumbo, greens gumbo, corn bread and red beans and rice, with bread pudding as dessert. I use Chuck Taggart's recipes for both gumbos - though increase the sausage and leave out the shrimp, plus add some bacon or tasso ham) plus vegetarian red beans and rice: http://www.gumbopages.com/recipe-page.html
You could do a similar thing just using turkey legs. If you cook up the legs and pull the meat off, you can use the bones to make the stock, or even just use them to jazz up some commercial low-salt chicken broth.
You could also make aargersi's turkey jambalaya recipe: http://www.food52.com/recipes... or healthierkitchen's jambalyaish: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

mensaque
mensaque November 4, 2012

Love the gumbo idea cause my mom is the Queen of Okra!Thanks,xoxo.

mensaque
mensaque November 4, 2012

Maybe my mother was from New Orleans is a previous life!I just checked out the jambalaya recipe,and she does it all the time...only not calling it jambalaya.I guess I'll have the day off from the kitchen!

bigpan
bigpan November 4, 2012

Google "peru recheado" for a nice savory Brazilian (Portuguese) turkey recipe.

mensaque
mensaque November 5, 2012

We had that last year,it's tradition in Brazil and we do it every X-mas...one of the reasons I wanted something different this time.Thanks,anyway.

Alexandra zohn
Alexandra zohn November 5, 2012

How about a turkey feijoada? And serving it with a side of farofa with toasted turkey skin (kind of turkey bacon)?

mensaque
mensaque November 5, 2012

Don't think the turkey's texture is right for feijoada...but on a bean salad with farofa,we may have something there.It's going on the list with the turkey gumbo.

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks November 6, 2012

Try Winnie Ab's Turkey Pho. Stewed Turkey legs are incredibly inexpensive. Roasted Turkey breast, brined, is cheaper than a whole turkey. Serve Rice with Pigeon Peas on the side, collard greens, corn bread or biscuits, and some kind of pie for dessert. Sweet Potato is my fave for dessert.