🔕 🔔

Mini-Thanksgiving Dinner Ideas?

College kids coming home the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, but one has to head back to school Thursday evening (marching band, home football game on Thursday!). He didn't ask, sweet kid, but I'd like to give him the taste of Thanksgiving dinner which he loves Tuesday or Wednesday night, then send him back to school with leftovers. I'm thinking turkey breast, instead of a whole turkey, and I suppose just smaller portions of the usual sides.

Who has a fabulous way to prepare a turkey breast that would give me some drippings to make gravy? I suppose I'm also looking for advice on just scaling down the huge Thanksgiving spread for a regular weeknight meal for 5, keeping in mind that the rest of the family will have the huge dinner two nights later?

asked by Annie Micale Webb 5 days ago

Turkey breast on its own will not give much in the way of drippings or savory bits for gravy.
Use some from another roast, made earlier, saved and frozen.
For sides, be sure to have at least one of his favorites.
To make the two meals different for those who eat both, make your classics with slight variations
E.g., 1.5 times each stuffing, cran sauce, potatoes, green veg with the half batch for weeknight and different seasoning.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I often make the gravy ahead of time, by roasting some wings and/or thighs. You could do that for whatever smaller quantity of gravy you need, or just make all your gravy at once – whatever you don’t use on Tues. will keep fine Thurs in the fridge for Thursday.

15f4f74b 2d05 4490 9637 767850b80894  fb avatar

This is perfect! Thanks!

Great ideas, thank you! To clarify, we are eating the traditional Thanksgiving dinner at a relatives, so I'm not cooking that day. A bonus of doing the mini version is we should have some leftovers at home for the weekend even though we aren't hosting the big Thursday meal.

Then ignore my idea for 1.5x of favorite dishes. Just make what you all like.
Agree with Amysarah in wings & thighs if you have nothing else for gravy.

I have never tried it but this seems like a popular recipe for gravy that is independent of the bird. Since you are not hosting the actual Thanksgiving dinner I would just suggest a scaled down version of your family favorites so that everyone can enjoy some leftovers. We always called dinner of the leftovers "Thanksgiving revisited".

https://food52.com/recipes...

3299dd0b a953 46f5 8a98 a0241f3b893a  256
MMH

We prepare 2 smaller turkeys - 10-12#. There are twice as many pieces so everyone gets what they like. It's also great for sharing leftovers to take home. We use the Julia Child carving method which I think is a great way to serve and share the breast.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

I would triple a number of chicken wings, breasts, drumsticks, etc. and make the gravy for both dinners as suggested by others. When you make the second dinner go ahead and make gravy and have extra for leftovers and peace of mind that you made some-ahead of time.