🔕 🔔

checkerboard cake

Trying to find a recipe on behalf of a friend for a checkerboard cake that her grandmother used to buy in Teaneck or Ridgewood, NJ 50 years ago.
It was loaf sized, rectangular, very dense and had about 10 different chocolate and vanilla layers, with icing between each and sprinkles on top. Ring any bells?

asked by laurakelso about 5 years ago

I've seen them in jewish and italian bakeries. The ones I'm familiar with were made in a loaf pan and had a chocolate fudge-like frosting, which I'm pretty sure was made with shortening. Basically a seven layer cake gone checkerboard.
When I googled around for a recipe, I came across this pan set instead.

5c43c2e8 f4ea 4d78 8581 4a88cb859370  stringio

Thanks so much for the speedy replies!