Making a birthday cake- should I use all-purpose or cake flour? Milk or buttermilk?

I want to make a vanilla layer cake with a buttercream frosting- like the bakery kind of birthday cake. I have two recipes that are very similar, but one uses cake flour and milk the other all-purpose and buttermilk? Which should I use?

mrslarkin August 12, 2012

They are probably both very good! I don't usually use cake flour for my cakes, just because I don't buy it very often. If you have the cake flour, I'd use that one. Good luck!

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Cake flour has such a low protein content compared to other flours (all purpose is usually around 10%) so less gluten forms when you mix it into a batter, producing a cake with a fine, soft, even crumb. I would use the recipe with the cake flour and milk.

ChefOno
ChefOno August 12, 2012

The most important factor is whether the flour is bleached or not. Cake flours generally are and provide the best flavor, volume, tenderness and texture. The next most important factor is freshness. Old flour = rancid flour.