🔕 🔔

Does anyone have a good/ somewhat easy recipe for the coconut buns they sell in Asian bakeries? They are the ones with a coconut paste.

asked by mbt almost 5 years ago

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

Maybe one of these would work for you:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe...
http://en.christinesrecipes...

Deac5e85 ab6c 4739 826e c35688e6f154  l1020855

Lindsay-Jean,
Have you ever tried the tang zhong cooked roux technique these buns call for? I am very interested in experiences anyone has had using this roux as a bread moistener and shelf life extender . Does the roux act like a starter and add flavor or sour tang if kept refrigerated for a few days ? It looks to be a really good idea and wonder why I have never read of this technique before ?

I'm sorry to say that I haven't CHeeb, I looked at a lot of recipes for these buns, and they all call for that, so it must be an essential element. One recipe I looked it said that you could make the tang zhong ahead of time and refrigerate it, but not to do so for more than a day, so it seems like it isn't like a sourdough starter. I'm very curious about these now though, I hope you try them and report back, I might need to try making them too!