Any recommendations for a good mail-order food gift?

asked by Michele Ludmer almost 6 years ago

I'm sure you'll get more up to date suggestions, but I posed a similar question a couple of years ago. Here are the answers: http://food52.com/hotline...

Omeletta
Omeletta

Ruthy is a Recipe Tester for Food52

I've used Omaha Steaks a few times and got great service & products-but I'll warn you, getting off their email list list has proved difficult!

cdilaura
cdilaura

Christina is the Vice President of Commerce Operations for Food52.

We'll be offering two fantastic heritage breed meat collections in the Food52 Shop tomorrow. Here's a preview, which you can access as of 12/6 12am ET:

http://shop.food52.com/deal/25279/bacon-and-porterhouse-heritage-breed-variety-tasting-collections-from-heritage-foods-usa

cdilaura
cdilaura

We also have a great Spanish charcuterie collection gift set here: http://shop.food52.com/deal/20532/fermins-holiday-charcuterie-essentials-from-the-rogers-collection

shoresdiver

Three words- Joe's Stone Crabs! Trust me, whoever gets them will go wild!

Olympic Provisions has fantastic salami, and offers different sampler options. http://olympicprovisions.bigcartel.com/

mainecook61

Luxardo maraschino cherries to put in a Manhattan. A teensy luxury worth every penny. Zingerman's has them. And have you looked at the excellent smoked salmon and other smoked fish things made by Ducktrap River in Maine? http://www.ducktrap.com/index.php

Chanelle,Gontarz

Tasterie has great mail-order boxes, with options for various allergies and dietary restrictions.

VeganCuts and ConsciousBox are also great options.

Rupal P

Shatila.com makes lovely boxes of bakhlava and packages them nicely, and is quite affordable.

Rupal P

lloreen

Harry and David pears are incredible - my grandmother sent them every year

violist

I also have sent many gifts from Zingerman's, but for artisan Italian products that are unique, though expensive, nobody beats Gustiamo.com

bhs14422

BBQ! Pig of the Month BBQ sends incredible ribs, pulled pork and fun packages -- everyone I've ever sent one to has fallen in finger lickin love!

CHeeb

Speaking of pork...Benton's bacon from Madisonville,TN is to die for. It will become a family tradition.

sparkplug

Gary West Meats has some amazing jerky - makes a great gift for men who are hard to buy for. My dad LOVED the jerky of the month club. www.garywest.com

SMSF
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

I've given and received bacon and ham from nueskes.com in Wisconsin.
They have mostly applewood smoked bacon and hams (the bacon is still my fave) and in the last couple of years have started making cherrywood smoked bacon. Oh my!
The shipping adds quite a bit to the cost, but most if not all of their products have to ship with refrigerated packs. Outstanding products.

If the person is a foodie, the demi glacé concentrates from More Than Gourmet are a wonderful gift. They also have a vegetable concentrate in addition to beef/veal, chicken, etc.

Niman Ranch for meat gifts. Have also received good gifts from Omaha Steaks.

Matthew

I love sending gift baskets from Bella Viva Orchards because they have a great variety of dried fruit, nuts and other healthy snacks in them:
http://www.bellaviva.com/dried-fruit-gift-baskets

MMH
MMH

www,great-alaska-seafood.com

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Nueske's also ships Kringle, which are nice to have on hand for the holidays.

Rupal P

Funny how I still like to look for this thread for advice years later -- even now! I finally took the Zingerman's advice for gifts for my brother and for my brother in law when they had new babies (the new baby basket that they offer). This may shock many on the thread but the recipients weren't huge fans of their gifts - in fact my brother gave a few of the foods back to me!

Generally, I find the items from Zingerman's pretty pricey for what you get - being near Philadelphia we have access to a lot of these foods, so I don't know if it is a regional thing, and I can't bring myself to pay $10 for a loaf of bread plus shipping. For those who do buy from Zingerman's and love it -- what items do you truly love?

Aside from that, I still like Shatila.com, also like Harry and David's (good value for $$), and am tempted to try Georgetown Cupcakes and Mah-Ze-Dahr bakery. Anyone with good experiences with these?

luvcookbooks
luvcookbooks

Meg is a trusted home cook.

Zingerman's strattu (tomato paste) is Soo good and not too expensive. The zang candy bars are nice for Michigan expats and small gifts. I also like the violet and walnut mustards.

max jaffa

Is this treif? http://www.baconaddicts.com/products/bacon-lube-bacon-flavored-personal-lubricant

Fresh nuts, especially pecans from the South. So much better than grocery store or even bulk store supplies that rotate quickly.

TheFritschKitchen

My M-I-L sent me a cinnamon grater plus some fresh cinnamon from Cinnamon Hill. I love it, the grater is beautiful and fresh cinnamon is amazing!