Our NYC Holiday Market is open (!!!) for the weekend. Come on by »
🔕 🔔

What spices should I buy?

I have a gift card to world spice merchants in Seattle. I am wondering what to order. I already have access to reasonable quality basic spices at my local food co-op, so I was thinking of ordering some kind of blend or something harder to find like dried limes or sumac or an unusual chile powder. We like to cook a wide variety of foods. What would you get?

asked by Megan over 2 years ago
81c5d52d ff2b 4e72 a6c6 7dc38ce97e6e  theseasonedtravelerheader

I tend to gravitate toward Middle Eastern/North African spice blends, but I would look for a good za'atar mix, sumac as you suggested, maybe ras-el-hanout if you want to try wonderful tagines, saffron since a good-quality saffron makes all the difference, and maybe a nice roasted cumin, which could be used in all sorts of cuisines. Oh, and good cardamom pods. But get what inspires and excites you - how nice to have the opportunity to stock up, and I admire your care & thoughtfulness in making your decision!

I am addicted to so many spices and herbs that I would find it overwhelming to choose. I like sweet food, so I would think about vanilla beans and Saigon cinnamon. Whole nutmeg and a tiny nutmeg grater. I like smoked Spanish paprika, both sweet and hot, for all kinds of dishes-- rice and beans, paella, chili, asopao de pollo, so I would get those, since they tend to be better and cheaper than supermarket versions. Maybe some fancy peppercorns, including Szechuan pepper, or fancy salt, including fleur de sel. Vadouvan is a weird spice mix I have always wanted to try. I first read about it in "Make the Bread, Buy the Butter". Agree with the sumac and za'ataar above. Hard boiled eggs are delicious dipped into za'ataar. Mexican oregano. Orange flower and rose flower water. This is not a very narrow list, hope it helps!!

I just took a Persian cooking class, so I would stock up on saffron and a good rose water. Orange water is useful too. I have read about grains of paradise, but haven't tried them, so I would add those to my cart. Dried lemon and lime is good, too,if you are cooking Persian foods. Remember to buy whole spices, not ground--the ground spices lose potency very quickly.

8c8ff7b2 98ef 495e 807b e66827c2eae7  open uri20131029 15207 1uj2enm

I think this is more of a personal preference and cooking habits, really. I echo the replies above - saffron, sumac, za'atar, vanilla beans, some more esoteric peppercorn varieties, dried kafir lime leaves, some good quality cocoa powder, masala blends, maybe the adobo blend.

0d120e67 a7aa 45af 8b3f c7fb324d4efe  image

Thank you all for these helpful comments! Yes, like bronxbaker, I was feeling overwhelmed at the options! I like the idea of za'atar and sumac. Grains of paradise and szechuan peppercorns and kaffir lime leaves. Also as for saffron- I have to confess that despite the fact that it is such a prized spice, I have never much cared for it in my cooking. Now I am wondering if a better quality saffron would change my mind! Thanks everyone for your input- you have helped me narrow it down some.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

I highly recommend Aleppo pepper. I use for almost everything beyond Middle Eastern cooking. It's a really nice smoky and not too high heat.

1565f479 4f6b 4904 9d5b 69a558c4c4ce  img 3032

I can also recommend, in addition to the suggestions above, Ceylon cinnamon and dried ground Mexican chiles, like chile de Arbol.
Once you've spent your gift card, I highly recommend shopping for spices in ethnic grocery stores. I my neighborhood I am lucky to have Mexican, Turkish, East Asian, and south Asian groceries and I can always find good-quality spices there.

820467dc d1b2 4071 ae7b d918a3648548  image

It really depends on what you like to cook.if you are a baker , you night want to
Try whole nutmegs and star anise, 5 spice powder, and cinnamon sticks if you have never used them. Buy small amounts of things that are new to you, so that you can see if you like the tastes;and so that they stay fresh