🔕 🔔

Chocolate cake in a skillet or oven ceramic?

When we packed up to camp out in a friend's empty apartment for a few weeks waiting for the post-flood repairs, I neglected to bring a cake pan of any sort. Any recos for cake in an iron skillet or in a ceramic baker? Birthday's must have cakes – Cakes must be chocolate – My 4-year-old has very strong convictions about these things...

asked by threefresheggs over 3 years ago

It'd be very difficult to bake a choco cake in a skillet because the cake needs to be in an oven so it can bake evenly through all sides, the ceramic oven sounds like your best bet

Ea2fede5 db69 4f9c b6a5 c70c27497ae9  dsc 0002 2

I was thinking to just stick the skillet in the oven, but figured it would need an adjusted recipe, because the skillet/ceramic absorb and retain heat at a very different rate than the light, thin tin/steel cake pans are usually made of. I have found some skillet recipes, but thought I might get the opinions of the community of experts before embarking on this mission : )

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

The ceramic dish should work fine, assuming the size is correct and you've got a working oven. I've baked cakes and cake-like things in both but the thermal mass of the cast iron tends to make for crispy sides.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

I would lean towards the ceramic baker, too. Maybe check for doneness a few minutes earlier. If you want to pop it out of the pan when serving, grease and flour the baker very well. When done, let it cool slightly, then invert it onto a plate. Or just frost it in the pan, and serve from there. Happy birthday!

F7dc8864 ca47 4dcc b3c3 ac8636375674  10 tiki 253

Hope you are back in your own home again soon! Living on the Gulf Coast, we have a lot of sympathy and understanding of that transitional style of living. Kind thoughts coming your way! And, I agree with the ceramic baker idea!