🔕 🔔

rice flour/all purpose flour

I tried posting just a second ago and it's not letting me edit it so, let's try this again. I have a recipe that calls for equal parts whole wheat and AP flour. I need to use brown rice flour. What would be the best way to sub it out? Or where can I find that info?

asked by SweetBaker80 almost 5 years ago

Are you trying to substitute all the wheat flour (AP & WW) with the rice flour?

Yes. I need a good sub out for each. Or if it's the same I need that.

Here's what I found with Google, but I haven't tried this. http://forum.lowcarber...
I tend not to mess a recipe for baked goods. All those ingredients were added for a specific reason. If you need to use rice flour, try finding recipe specifically designed for rice flour.

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

If you're looking to remove AP flour and substitute with a gluten-free alternative, you will -- unfortunately -- need a flour mix that includes more than just brown rice flour (swapping AP wheat flour with rice flour only will yield a flat, hard, mess). If you are doing this as a "one-off" (i.e., to accomodate a visitor who is gluten-intolerant) I'd recommend one of the gluten-free AP flour mixes (King Arthur; Bob's Red Mill; or Cup-4-Cup -- the last one is really pricey) that are available in many supermarkets. If your substitution is for a savory recipe, either will work fine; if for a sweet and delicate recipe, I'd recommend the King Arthur only because Bob's uses some bean flours in their mix and that can cause more delicate products to have a slightly "beany" off-taste. If you're doing it for your own health, I'd recommend Googling and reading some really good blogs on the subject like Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef; Art of Gluten-Free Baking; Gluten-Free Goddess; or Gluten-Free on a Shoestring. All have great recipes that are GF, as well as advice for developing your own GF flour mix.

It's for dog treats. Dogs are actually wheat intolerant. Not sure if that's considered celiac disease if we're speaking of dogs. But a hard product wouldn't be bad in this case. I'll look elsewhere. Thank you.