Blending Rice Flour and AP Flour

I'd like to use brown rice flour (for flavor) in cookies, but I am not gluten-free, and I do not want to/need to make gluten-free cookies.

I know I can't substitute 100% of the AP flour with brown rice flour, but I would like to substitute some of the AP flour with brown rice flour, and I don't know how much I can substitute. However, every search for "substituting AP flour with brown rice flour," "blending AP flour and rice flour," or even "AP flour and brown rice flour" results in gluten-free recipes, gluten-free flour blends, etc.

How much AP flour can I substitute with brown rice flour?

asked by Mia Svendson 26 days ago

For bread, I have read that you can replace up to 50% of the wheat flour with a non-wheat flour. It's a good starting point and you can adjust the ratio as needed. Be aware that brown rice flour absorb more moisture than wheat flour. It can also rise faster. So you may have to add more liquid to recipes and adjust the bake/cook time.

I suggest you contact the brown rice flour manufacturer for guidance.

More than anyone else they should know the characteristics of their products.

Note that manufacturers include this type of information in a product FAQ on the company website.

It’s worth looking there first.

Best of luck.

I make shortbread cookies that use about 25% rice flour. It gives them a subtle crunch you don't expect to find in shortbread.

BY the way, Alice Medrich’s book Flavor Flours is a good reference for many non-wheat flours and ways to use them.
https://www.amazon.com...