🔕 🔔

Last night I madey pasta sauce , sautéed onion, garlic and canned tomatoes. Not cooked yet but left out overnight Is it ok to cook and eat

asked by gig7 over 5 years ago

To be on the safe side, I'd toss it. (But then I've had food poisoning....) A lot of people probably wouldn't on the theory that tomato sauce is acidic and would act as a preservative. But I'm of the better safe than sick persuasion. Here's what the USDA says: http://www.fsis.usda.gov...

cwya

I'm a cooking without ability to waste food easily easily ingredients hat are expensive. So..another poor friend suggested if bad would taste bad probably, so also having had food poisoning I put a little of mixture (mine was salsa) on tip of spoon smelled and tasted it, then swallowed to see if I got nauseous. No nausea, I would use it. I got nauseous so tossed it even though smelled and tasted fine.

ChefOno

As clearly and emphatically as I can put this: NEVER taste suspect food! Even a tiny bit could KILL you. You can smell it, but that will only let you know if it has spoiled -- it will NOT tell you if it would make you and your family sick.

As a general rule, pathogenic bacteria and viruses will not cause food to smell. If you think food is expensive, wait until you see a hospital bill.