🔕 🔔

Whole wheat flour substitution

I'm trying to make pumpkin cinnamon rolls with a recipe from King Arthur's Flour. It calls for a mix of AP flour and whole wheat flour (2 1/2 c to 1 3/4 c, repsectively) but I have only AP flour. Can I do an equal substitution or do I need to do some math?

asked by WannabeBaker over 4 years ago

Whole wheat flour (WWF) is going to absorb more liquid than straight AP flour because the former is composed of significantly larger particles. Rub some WWF between your fingers, and then some AP flour to give you an idea of the comparison. Go ahead and double the amount of AP flour plus 25% more AP flour. Mix the dough on the dough hook. Just when it comes together and begins to appear dough-like, turn off the mixer and drape the bowl with a plastic bag or wrap. Allow the dough to rest for 15 minutes, then turn the mixer back on and allow it to knead for about 3 minutes. The dough should very quickly pull away from the sides and bottom of the bowl. As soon as it does, turn off the mixer and proceed with proofing instructions from that point on. You'll be in great shape with a beautifully tender dough.