🔕 🔔

Can I substitute Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free all-purpose flour for whole wheat pastry flour in a banana bread recipe?

I'm making a banana bread recipe that calls for whole wheat pastry flour. Can I substitute Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free all-purpose flour cup for cup? Or will it change the texture?

asked by Juliette Dallas-Feeney almost 5 years ago

82bc15be d3cf 410a 9b82 665e7b26bd26  1081
Stephanie Bourgeois

Stephanie is the Head Recipe Tester of Food52.

You can try the substitute. It may change the texture and taste slightly (whole wheat flour tends to be nuttier), but should still work. I haven't worked much with Bob's Red Mill gluten-free flour. Does anyone have any tips on making sure it produces a tender cake?

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Here's a link to the 'Bob's' recipe, using their AP GF blend. Compare with the recipe you have for guidelines. There's another recipe on the Bob's site, using single flours blended together.
http://www.yummly.com/recipe...