🔕 🔔

The standing rib roast last night was awesome! What is the best method to re-heat for leftovers?

asked by Chef Lisa almost 5 years ago

A4193e84 5c13 421d aeb9 f589dd2a81c0  ruthyk sm
Omeletta

Ruthy is a Recipe Tester for Food52

Just don't microwave! I think it ruins a nice peice of well-cooked meat. I like to reheat in a oven that's good and hot (maybe 400*F) for a couple of minutes, depending on the amount and thickness of the leftovers cuts. A grill works well too, even my cast-iron grill pan (apartment living grill!)

94ff4163 13ec 407a a53b 792c87641e55  fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

Cold with toasted bread and sauerkraut or mustard is my favourite way to eat leftover beef.

Usually I will stick it in the toaster oven until it's warm/hot enough, at either 350F or on toast setting. If the meat feels a bit dry, I will heat it covered, or in the leftover gravy.

Another option would be to make a curry. This is usually on the third day when you are sick of eating leftovers, stick the rest in a curry. It's also good for meat that has gone too dry in the fridge as it tenderizes and moistens the meat.

3d9a3882 c161 441f 8a91 0efd10979f7c  2007 09 11e s4

This is one of the main reasons I do a standing rib roast to begin with!
Cut a couple 1-1/4" steaks off the roast and let them come to room temperature. Make a compound butter with 1/4 cup butter, 1 Tablespoon of grated prepared horseradish and 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce. Once well mixed, drain off any remaining liquid.
Heat your grill (outdoor or stovetop) to high heat. Place the steaks on the grill for 45 seconds. Lift and turn the steaks 90° and place them on hot sections of the grill. 45 seconds later, flip the steaks over and repeat the process on the other side. The 1-1/2 minutes you have had the steaks on the high heat is adequate to warm them through and give you a nice cross-hatched grill pattern on each side.
Remove them from the grill, place a tablespoon of the compound butter on eah and tent them loosely with foil for 5 minutes.

02c48bf2 d5db 46fe a552 5a9414b7079d  steak rib 03 small