Making dried salted lemons instead of preserved lemons

Mayers Lemons are sale. I usually make a jar of preserved lemons, they get slimy after a few months. Could I slice and boil in salt water, and then dehydrate them and pack in dry salt for longer shelf life?

• Posted by: Sam1148
  • January 3, 2013

HalfPint January 3, 2013

I think what you want is called msir and it's made almost the same way as preserved lemons, then the juices that accumulate is poured off. Here's a pretty detailed tutorial, http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/msir-moroccan-salted-dried-lemons_topic479.html

Sam1148 January 3, 2013

Ahh, yes. I saw something about those.
I've purchased dried lemons at middle eastern stores and they always taste a bit, well like fake cool aide products.

I may try both and see which works---I was thinking using 'candied' lemon slices as a starting recipe..but with salt instead instead of sugar.

HalfPint January 3, 2013

Maybe you can cook and cool the lemons in supersaturated salt solution and then drain and let it dry out. You might have to do this a few times until you get the dryness that you prefer.

Alternatively, salt pack thin slices of lemon with coarse sea salt.