🔕 🔔

defrosting whole tomatoes

I re-read Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle over the summer and decided to buy several pounds of tomatoes from my farmer's market in August. I made sauce and froze it (success! I love local tomato flavor in the winter) and also froze several whole tomatoes to use in various dishes until tomato season commences. How do I defrost for use? I tried one and ended up with a leaky, slumped, impossible-to-cut tomato. Thanks for suggestions!

asked by BetteratHome over 4 years ago

Because of high water content in tomatoes, the freezing destroyed the structure of the tomato. It is now only good for sauces or soups.

If you want the skins off before you add them to your soup, stew, sauce, chili, etc. put the frozen tomatoes in a colander and pour boiling water over them to loosen the skins.