🔕 🔔

canned tomatoes

I canned tomatoes this summer and want to use them to make a sauce. Do I have to remove the seeds from them? I don't have a food mill so I am not sure if I can just use them as is.

asked by Madame Sel almost 5 years ago

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Many recipes tell you to scoop out the seeds, but recently I have been reading that the seeds and the gel they sit in are very flavorful. Now I don't bother with that step.

For a basic tomato sauce, you don't have to remove the seeds and I personally wouldn't in the interest of keeping things simple. But it's just a preference. There are some recipes calling for tomato sauce or puree that are better seedless, depending on desired texture and appearance.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

I would advise not to remove the seeds. It may make the sauce slightly more watery, meaning you have to cook it down a little more, but there is flavor (and texture) in those seeds. Not to mention the blood, sweat, and tears that went into growing those tomatoes! Every time I reflect on my own tomato patch and the struggle of getting to harvest, I shudder at the thought of throwing any of it away.