🔕 🔔

Home made pizza: outside crust is perfect, but center is doughy. How can this be remedied? Oven temp would only go to 489 degrees.

The taste was yummy so we tossed the middle soggy part.

asked by see almost 5 years ago

see

I appreciate you answer very much. I wrote another reply to you, however it must be in cyberspace because it has vanished.

It also helps if it isn't too overloaded with toppings, whatever they are, especially if you're also adding a sauce (rather than just olive oil). In Italy, toppings are used sparingly so that the crust is part of the flavor profile, not just a vehicle for toppings. It's a heavenly combination.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Try following the instructions given by Ken Forkish in the book Flour Water Salt Yeast. Place pizza stone about 8-inches below broiler. Turn oven as hot as possible, and once it reaches temperature turn timer on for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes switch to the broiler for about 5 minutes to saturate the stone with heat. Switch back to bake, then slide pizza onto the stone. Bake 5 to 6 minutes, then switch heat to broil for about 2 more minutes. Goal is a golden brown crust with a few small char areas on the topping and the crust. I baked a couple of pizzas this way the other night and the crust was top-notch. Another tip is not to overload the pizza. Here's a photo of one of the pizzas I made just a couple of nights ago.

42d3aa72 6610 4577 92f1 6b10ac493388  imag0441 1

94ff4163 13ec 407a a53b 792c87641e55  fsm
trampledbygeese

trampledbygeese is a trusted home cook.

I've never cooked with a pizza stone before, but I was thinking of getting a bread stone. Do you think it would work the same way?

Hmm. for some reason the image didn't work. Here's a link to it on instagram. http://instagram.com/p...

Yes. It's the same.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I use a pizza stone on the middle rack and preheat at 500F for at least half an hour. Pizzas come perfect every time in about 8-10 minutes depending on the topping load. Thin crust a bit quicker.
If I could get 700F it would be even faster, better and like the restaurant .
For me, hot hot pizza stone is the answer.

see

Hi all, I posted this question and must thank you each for such good advice. The photo on instagram makes one want to chow down. That pizza looks too pretty to eat!

As a hard core pizzaiolo I often cook the pizza outside on a "piastra" set on my wood grill. I use real lump charcoal and I can crank it up to around 600F. High heat matters. Per HLA's answer, in Italy they don't pile on the toppings. It tends to be minimalist---the classic being the pizza margherita. If you see big blisters forming on the outside of the crust that's a good thing.