How long can I keep mortadella?

I bought 1/2 pound of mortadella in one piece (not sliced) last Monday from Eataly - it's still in the original packaging from the deli counter - would it still be ok? Wanting to mix it into tortellini or meatballs today.

asked by JuliaB almost 6 years ago

cookbookchick

Yes, as long as you kept it in the fridge. Cured meats do not spoil quickly.

nutcakes

I'd call the deli. If you mean Monday 2 days ago, obviously fine. If you mean Monday 9-10 days ago, I think you are pushing it for a moist meat like Mortadella which is not dried as much as dry salami, say. Either way, if it isn't molding I suppose it is just okay.

CHeeb

It also gets slimy when past its prime,JuliaB. You can tell by smell and texture/slime .

Mortadella is NOT a "cured" meat although it is a form of sausage. A week after it's been sliced is probably okay. Some of the commercial types do contain preservatives as well as sodium nitrate which will last longer. But from Eataly... I would advise eat it now. As bonus you should see pieces of lard and pistachio in the slice.

JuliaB

Thanks all, it was actually fine (not slimy, no smell) and I ground it into meatballs which were delicious!

driftless

Mortadella sold in the USA is both cured with nitrite and cooked. It has a longer refrigerated shelf life than Mortadella in Italy. Both are great.