🔕 🔔

How long can I keep mortadella?

I bought 1/2 pound of mortadella in one piece (not sliced) last Monday from Eataly - it's still in the original packaging from the deli counter - would it still be ok? Wanting to mix it into tortellini or meatballs today.

asked by JuliaB almost 5 years ago

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

Yes, as long as you kept it in the fridge. Cured meats do not spoil quickly.

I'd call the deli. If you mean Monday 2 days ago, obviously fine. If you mean Monday 9-10 days ago, I think you are pushing it for a moist meat like Mortadella which is not dried as much as dry salami, say. Either way, if it isn't molding I suppose it is just okay.

Deac5e85 ab6c 4739 826e c35688e6f154  l1020855

It also gets slimy when past its prime,JuliaB. You can tell by smell and texture/slime .

Mortadella is NOT a "cured" meat although it is a form of sausage. A week after it's been sliced is probably okay. Some of the commercial types do contain preservatives as well as sodium nitrate which will last longer. But from Eataly... I would advise eat it now. As bonus you should see pieces of lard and pistachio in the slice.

C7ef0848 b3da 4d43 8fda 59ce0ec5ff83  jules

Thanks all, it was actually fine (not slimy, no smell) and I ground it into meatballs which were delicious!