🔕 🔔

i am serving bigos to friends tomorrow nite. it is a great dish for sub-zero nights. i need suggestions for something to accompany this stew

could also use a suggestion for dessert after this heavy dish.
thanks to all!

asked by alienor over 3 years ago
C4b35b3e a030 4605 bcae f5a7ba4644f4  sausage2
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

Well, it's full of meat and cabbage right? So, practically a one pot meal! I would suggest instead of serving potatoes with it, steam cauliflower and mash it with a little butter, sour cream, and salt and serve that. It has the same warming effect as mashed potatoes but is a little lighter of an accompaniment, plus it gets in another serving of veggies. For dessert, for some reason an orange olive-oil cake strikes me as something nice for a cold night, not too heavy but not too light. (Or maybe it's just what I've been craving in our sub-zero temps.) Or maybe some roasted pears (like these http://smittenkitchen.com...) with a little drizzle of cream or chocolate sauce?

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

wine and a lemony dessert pops into my head! But that happens no matter what :-) I like the cauliflower idea, and can you broil or grill some crusty bread? I make sunshine cake and ice cream in the dead of winter ...

Cef49d72 d554 46db a888 e97e0311e08e  cimg0737

I love the idea of a citrus dessert to follow the bigos! What about serving nannydeb's awesome Grapefruit and Mint bundt cake with a dollop of creme fraiche on the side? (http://food52.com/recipes...)

5861b4ad 965e 4a67 9c9c 76c273534f33  img 0001

I am not sure about serving cauliflower with Bigos; it already has enough vegetables. I like aargersi’s idea to grill or toast good country bread or I would suggest serving the Bigos over Israeli Couscous, brown rice or any of your favorite grain. For dessert I think, cookingvictoria’s idea or Emily’s are the best.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

In terms of bread, a good rye would be traditional with something like bigos. (Btw, good old school rye bread is as much like the supermarket variety as, e.g., Chef Boy Ar Dee is like serious pasta. Why it's not the next 'big thing' in bread eludes me. A comeback is long overdue.) Also, my mitteleuropean heart says to serve spaetzle - perfect vehicle for all that lovely sauce.

C124f579 1ed2 466c bea2 81f2e2833f4e  fb avatar

thanks for all the good suggestions. i served the bigos with a fresh loaf of newly baked sourdough (half nine grains and half white, flour)followed by baked pears in a caramel vanilla sauce. the pears were accompanied by a glass or port. it was a great ending to a delicious meal