🔕 🔔

Someone told mt to cook Mr.Turkey breast down for moisture.. any truth to that??

asked by amaryllisd almost 7 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Yes...It helps keep the dark and white meat closer to the same temperature, so you don't overcook the breast to get the dark meat cooked. I generally start the bird breast down, then after an hour flip it over. If you cook it breast down the whole time the skin will not be crispy or pretty. If you are doing a large bird (20ish lbs) start it out at 425 F, and once you flip it drop the temp to 325 F.

Brining is the best way to retain moisture. The upside down trick does help but getting a big, hot bird flipped can be difficult, and I have seen birds get dropped on the floor in the process. So I brine mine. :-)

9848bd7f 4343 4a4a 8dbc 694f97ffd18d  s538818392 1497440 3193 1

YES, YES. YES.

8e94e86b faa9 42ae 93f9 c243369e2b3f  cakecake

Yes, breast-down will result in juicier breast meat, but I vote brine, too. I seriously HATED turkey before i started brining them. And flipping a huge, hot turkey is dangerous.