How long can a fresh (bone-in) turkey breast last in the refrigerator?

I'm cooking a bone-in turkey breast for Christmas this year, and am trying to get my shopping done ahead of time. From doing a quick search online, most places recommend leaving a fresh turkey breast in the fridge a maximum of 1-2 days before cooking or freezing. The breasts I've seen in the store all seem to have a "cook or freeze by" date of 12/27/17. I'm assuming they don't put new turkey breasts out every couple of days, so I'm wondering if I really need to be concerned about buying a breast now if I don't plan on actually cooking it until Saturday (celebrating Christmas early). Assuming the "cook or freeze by" date is the 27th, should I be okay leaving it in the fridge for upwards of 3-4 days?

asked by Sean,Murray 12 months ago

former Community Editor

The FDA's recommendations are in line with the 1 to 2 day limit you've seen: https://www.fda.gov/downloads...

Sean,Murray

Maybe I'm playing Devil's Advocate, but wouldn't that mean the grocery stores are leaving their birds out way too long? If I'm seeing turkey breasts in the cooler at stores right now with dates of 12/27, that's well beyond the 1-2 day limit. Or am I missing something?

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

I would follow what the packaging says but try and get the latest date you can or wait a few days for them to restock. I have bought poultry that smelled off well before the sell by date. The sooner you make it from the purchase date the better. I check the packages and buy the latest date , they put the old packs in the front of the display so they sell first so look carefully.

Em
Em

If you need to buy ahead and refrigerate for 3-4 days, just keep the turkey in the furthest, darkest, coolest part of your refrigerator. If it's fresh when you bought it and it's packaged airtight, you should be fine.
Make sure you cook it completely just to be safe!

E
E

Hm. I just bought a bone-in turkey breast to cook on Monday and saw this post while looking for recipes. I assumed that the 12/26 sell by date meant I was okay buying early, but now I'm concerned. Should I freeze for a couple days and thaw for a couple days?